DIY, Colorful Etched Glass Pots!!



Hi there, today I want to share a pretty colorful and fun project.  I wanted to play around with my etching cream and before going to a bigger glass piece, I took these little ones and decided to etch a pattern on them.  I've never used a brush to apply etching cream on my glass projects, but today I wanted to do something different, I wanted an unusual pattern, instead of using a stencil or the designer tips to etch, I wanted to see brush strokes, this could only happen if I used a brush, something you normally don't want as a result on your piece unless that's what you are going for.

I wanted a pattern on my glass pieces that somewhat would resemble a basket weave look.  So I took out a few paint brushes that had hard bristles so I could get the etching design I was looking for.

On the photo below you can see how I applied the etching cream, I left it alone for 15 minutes before rinsing it off,  Had I done this project using a stencil to show a checker pattern, I would have applied the cream more heavy and would have removed the extra cream back in the bottle, however the way I applied it, it was a very thin application, and it pretty much dried on the glass, so I really didn't have any cream to return back to the bottle.



Here are a few close-ups of the etched glasses, you can see the brush strokes left behind.  




Time to rinse off the etching cream and see what I had to work with.  I liked the effect I got on these two glass containers, now I had to figure out how to add paints without covering up all the etched areas.


I liked the etching results, the idea of painting these without following any specific lines is like been able to color outside the lines. I can't wait to do this again.





I played around for a while, adding crimson and green, then adding some yellow and some gray, finally a bit of black paint to bring out the pretty bright colors even more, I managed to leave enough clear etched areas on these.  I love the bright colors and I think I want to make a few more, maybe I'll bring out some of my ethnic sketches I keep so I can have more fun etching and painting. 



These are ready to hold some pretty flowers, or candies, or maybe these can be my new size tequila shot glasses.



Materials used:

Etchall Eetching Creme
Ashland Glass flower pot votive holder from Michaels
Pebeo vitrail paints
Paint brushes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recycling is Fun and Creative!!!

Handmade Holiday Ornament Swap with Charity Wings